WebMO 19.0.009e: Offset center of rotation

jwk
Full Name: John Keller
Organization: University of Alaska Fairbanks
Subdiscipline: Chemistry

WebMO 19.0.009e: Offset center of rotation

Post by jwk »

In both the Build Molecule and View Job modes, if I translate a molecule anywhere away from the center of the workspace, and then attempt to rotate it, the center of rotation appears to remain at the center of the workspace. In other words, rotating the now-translated molecule causes a large eccentric motion rather that the more useful rotation about a center of mass. Is this behavior by design, or is it due to a mis-adjusted browser or webMO option; or is it a bug? (This also happens in WebMO v 20 on the demo server.)

schmidt
Full Name: JR Schmidt
Organization: WebMO, LLC

Re: WebMO 19.0.009e: Offset center of rotation

Post by schmidt »

This is by design. You can recenter the molecule automatically with "Edit : Find" (or associated hot key). It is also automatically re-cenetered upon cleanup, etc.

jwk
Full Name: John Keller
Organization: University of Alaska Fairbanks
Subdiscipline: Chemistry

Re: WebMO 19.0.009e: Offset center of rotation

Post by jwk »

Yes, re-centering does restore center-of-mass rotation. However, if I am using WebMO's Z-matrix editor, I would like the molecule, with its index numbers, to be visible in say the top-left of the workspace to make room for the Z-matrix app. This is particularly an issue for laptop or iPad users. Actually, center-of-mass rotation throughout the workspace is standard in three GUIs I am aware of: Jmol, GaussView and HyperChem.