6 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 pm
- Full Name: Scott Kirkby
- Organization: East Tennessee State University
The Time column in the Job Manager is incorrectly reporting the time for multi-day calculations when using SLURM. When the SLURM reported time is days-hours:minutes:seconds and WebMO reports the time as days:minutes:seconds, for example 1-12:34:46 for 1 day, 12 hours, 34 minutes and 46 seconds is reporting as 1:34:36
Thank you for this report. It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot (or better, text snippet) of a bit of SLURM output to use for testing. It obviously takes some time to get a multi-day job running for full testing purposes.
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:25 pm
- Full Name: Shawn Sivy
- Organization: The College of New Jersey
Hello, we are having a similar issue since we update WebMO to version 22.0.009e. When a job is running, the "Time" column in the WebMO job queue page displays 29:00:00, but displays the elapsed time correctly when the job ends. Here is a screenshot.
Yikes! I just realized that 22.0.009e (enterprise only!) has some left over debugging code that was used to address the earlier issue! I will resolve this later today in a point release (010e) for enterprise only.
If you want to change it in situ, it is a one line change in processcontrol_pbs.cgi, around line ~140. You can easily see where a value is erroneous hard coded for testing! (Note that you may need to wait until the WebMO queue empties for the daemon to restart and the change to "stick".)