Installation Instructions for Linux
These instructions are for installing a copy of WebMO the first time. To upgrade an existing WebMO configuration, refer to the WebMO upgrade instructions instead.
- Obtain a WebMO license.
- Download WebMO.
- Configure Apache webserver for WebMO.
- Upload the WebMO archive to your Linux or unix (IRIX, AIX, Solaris, etc.) web server. (Do not uncompress the archive on your PC before uploading!)
- Login to your user account (/home/smith) on the web server, uncompress, and untar the WebMO distribution
$ tar xzf WebMO..x.xxx.tar.gz
- Run the setup script
$ cd WebMO.install
$ perl setup.pl
- Follow the directions that are given in the setup script:
- Enter WebMO license number when prompted
- Path to Perl binary: (/usr/bin/perl)
- Verify the webserver's name
- HTML directory: /home/smith/public_html/webmo
- HTML URL: /~smith/webmo
- CGI directory: /home/smith/public_html/cgi-bin/webmo
- CGI URL: /~smith/cgi-bin/webmo
- User directory: /home/smith/webmo
- Follow the URL given at the end of setup process (http://localhost/~smith/cgi-bin/webmo/login.cgi) and continue with the on-line WebMO configuration
- Login as user 'admin' with an empty password
- Reset the admin password when prompted
- Register your copy of WebMO when prompted
- If the registration process fails (e.g., due to no internet connectivity), login again from the URL at the end of the setup process as user 'admin' with the new password
- Click on 'System Manager'
- Confirm that the scratch location is appropriate
- Click 'Submit' to commit any changes
- Click 'Return to Admin' to return to the WebMO administration page
- Click on 'Interface Manager'
- Click the 'Enable interface' icons to enable any computational chemistry packages that you have installed on your system
- Click the 'Edit interface' icon and make any neccessary changes in the interface configuration
- Click 'Submit' to commit the changes
- Click 'Return' and 'Return to Admin' to return to the WebMO administration page
- Click on 'User Manager'
- Click the 'New User' button
- Specify a Username and Password
- Click 'Submit' to create the user
- Click 'Return to User Manager' and 'Return to Admin' to return to the WebMO administration page
- Login as the WebMO user that you created. In the job manager, click 'Create New' to run a test job.
- If you have not yet installed any computational chemistry programs on your unix computer, see the separate support pages for installing binary or source versions of computational engines. Then enable, configure, and test these packages as described above.
- Questions or feedback?
Please visit the WebMO Support Forum or send email to email@example.com.
To uninstall WebMO, see the uninstalling WebMO instructions
If you expereince any problems, please refer to the WebMO troubleshooting page